Table Of Contents
- 1 The Best Truck Bed Bike Racks In 2022
- 2 ★★★★★
- 3 ★★★★★
- 3.1 Best 5 Bike Rack and Buyer’s Choice: Pipeline Racks Truck Bed Bike Rack
- 3.2 Best 4 Bike Truck Bed Rack: Pipeline Racks Truck Bed 4 Bike Rack Full-Size Trucks
- 3.3 Pipeline Racks Truck Bed 2 Bike Rack: Best 2 Bike Rack for Sub Compact Trucks
- 3.4 Best Bike Rack For Storage: Let’s Go Aero Three-Quarter Nelson 2 Bike-Carrier Truck Bed Mount V-Rack
- 3.5 Best Adjustable-Height Heavy Duty Truck Bed Rack: Yakima Overhaul HD
- 3.6 Best Bike Rack For Payload: Thule TracRac TracOne Truck Rack (Aluminum)
- 3.7 About Your Favorite Brands
- 3.8 Buying Guide for Truck Bed Bike Rack
- 3.9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3.10 Conclusion
The last two decades have witnessed an increase in the proliferation of electric bicycles, increasing biking accessibility. Regardless of whether your stance is electric or traditional, the truth is that a great bike rack is needed to move your bike around. Truck bed bike racks are the safest and most convenient way to transport bikes inside or above your truck box.
In a market saturated with bike rack options, knowing what you are buying is essential. To help prevent regrets when purchasing, we have prepared a detailed review of the best truck bed bike racks for value in 2022. This review will go over the features of these brands and their pros and cons. We even dropped a buying guide to help you know what to look for when making a purchase.
Best 5 Bike Rack and Buyer’s Choice: Pipeline Racks Truck Bed Bike Rack
A significant challenge bikers face when loading their bikes on trucks is the bikes’ propensity to peel paint. This often occurs on bumpy roads where the bikes rub off each other or create an unbearable sound from the friction. It is also easy for your bike to get stolen in such circumstances.
The Pipeline Racks truck bed bike rack is the perfect solution for these concerns. This truck bed bike rack is easy to install and safely fastens bikes at their tires to the truck bed. As such, they are kept from rubbing against the vehicle paint.
This rack can accommodate as many as four bikes that mount without removing their front tires. The Pipeline Rack Truck Bed Bike Rack for five bikes can accommodate wheels of various sizes between ft. 75 and 25.5 inches.
With the Pipeline Racks, you can speed effortlessly without concerns of the unbearable sound of friction or damaging your car and bike paint. However, one of the standout features of this rack is that it is drill-free.
You do not have to drill holes into your rack during installation. As long as your truck bed is a minimum of 58.5in, you are good to go. Beyond being a great truck gear, this rack is helpful at home to strap bikes securely. Pipeline Racks truck bed bike rack drastically reduces the chances of bike theft.
- Easy to install: Rack can be installed without the need to screw into your truck bed. It uses eyelets to fix the bike to the truck, and ropes keep the bike put in the truck bed.
- Easy to use (no wheel removal): You can use this truck bed without disassembling your car wheel.
- Secure: Prevents bike from falling off or being stolen.
- Does not rust easily: Thanks to an aluminum body, this bike does not rust easily
- Adjustable: This rack is adjustable to accommodate 20″ to 29″ wheel diameters and tires with widths between .75 and 2.8″. It also comes with an optional fat tire kit to carry a 3 inch to 5-inch tire.
- Great for groups and families: This rack can carry more bikes than any other brand on this list, making it an excellent tool for family and group outings.
- Limited carrying capacity: Cannot carry bikes above 40lbs and electric bikes without extra strap support.
- It does not accommodate bikes with full fenders
- Wobbling: This bike is not a rigid mount design, so expect movement from side to side. Do not expect your bikes to be upright during transportation.
Best 4 Bike Truck Bed Rack: Pipeline Racks Truck Bed 4 Bike Rack Full-Size Trucks
Pipeline Racks is so good we must list it twice. This brand provides different truck bed rack options capable of accommodating between two and five bikes. This rack comes with everything needed for installation. These include four-wheel straps to lock your bikes in without the need to remove your front wheel or use forks to lock-in.
The Pipeline Racks Truck bed can accommodate various bikes, including mountain bikes, road bikes, cruisers, e-bikes. BMX and Fat Tire bikes. This rack is a perfect fit for trucks with a bed width of 58.5 inches or more. It also has an optional fat tire conversion kit that can help improve tire adjustability for tires measuring up to 5 inches. Without this kit, the four-bike rack can accommodate tires measuring .75 inches and 2.8 inches and wheels with 20 and 29 inches diameter.
As with the five bike rack, the four bike rack comprises an aluminum body that prevents rust and guarantees durability. Besides being great aboard your truck bed, the rack is also excellent for storing your bikes in the garage.
The four bike rack features two forward and rear-facing arms to lock your bikes securely into your truck. Unfortunately, this bike is not compatible with bikes having full fenders, and it is designed for mountain bikes and modern bikes built for experienced cyclists.
- Easy to install: There is no difficulty in fastening this rack to your truck bed as there is no requirement for drilling.
- No need to remove the front wheel: This bike is easy to use as bicycles can be mounted without removing the front wheel.
- Great for groups and families: This rack is excellent for an outdoor group experience, thanks to a carrying capacity of four bikes.
- Durable: The rack’s stainless steel and aluminum body makes it highly durable.
- Rods may keep popping out
- Wobbling: As a flexible rack, it is natural to expect a slight wobbling when using it.
Pipeline Racks Truck Bed 2 Bike Rack: Best 2 Bike Rack for Sub Compact Trucks
Few brands have grown in dominance as Pipeline Rack, and a key factor behind this is its ease of use and adjustability. The two bike rack is excellent for subcompact truck beds measuring 41″ to 49″. It is also possible to mount this rack inside an enclosed trailer with the aid of a surface mounting kit.
This locks the rack into the floor of your truck bed. The safe mounting kit has a quick-release feature to ease the removal of this truck bed. Thanks to its lightweight build, the rack is easy to remove and mount on the bed. It carries different bikes, including cruisers, BMX, fat tires, e-bikes, mountain bikes, and more.
To truly enjoy this truck bed rack, it needs to be assembled appropriately. A great feature of this brand is its superb customer service, and speedy response to customer complaints keeps them a distance away from their competition.
This mount is also adjustable to accommodate wheels with 20 to 29 inches diameter and tires measuring .75 and 2.8 inches. With a Fat Tire kit that can be purchased along with your rack, you can accommodate tires with a maximum width of 5 inches.
- Easy to install: This rack installs effortlessly and does not require holes drilling.
- Easy to use: You do not have to remove your bicycle’s front wheel to lock it in.
- Adjustable: This carrier can accommodate wheels between 20-29″ in diameter and tires between .75 and 2.8″.
- Durable: The Pipeline Racks 2 bike rack consists of sturdy aluminum that prevents rust, and its durable build ensures that it lasts for years.
- Safe: It provides a secure lock for your bicycle.
- Good customer service: Pipeline Racks boasts incredible customer service that promptly attends to complaints.
- Great for sub-compact trucks: This two-bike rack is ideal for trucks between 41 and 49 inches in width.
- Limited carrying capacity: Extra strap support is required to carry e-bikes and bicycles weighing above 40 lbs.
Best Bike Rack For Storage: Let’s Go Aero Three-Quarter Nelson 2 Bike-Carrier Truck Bed Mount V-Rack
The Let’s Go Aero V-Rack is a uniquely designed bike rack. Although the base product can carry two bikes, it is possible to expand it to six bicycles. The design features a V-wing mount with settings for three distinct positions, allowing you to reposition your rack and bike according to your storage needs. The rack’s carrying capacity is a maximum of 35 lb, and the overall carrying capacity for each V-wing is 70 lbs.
Let’s Go Aero V-Rack 2 bike mount is a perfect fit for trucks lacking a C-mount system. Ideally, installation is easy to complete within minutes without using tools. Therefore, there is no need to drill holes into the truck bed. The V-Rack mount also comes with a Ringlocker. This security system features two cables to fasten the rack to the truck, two bikes to the frame, and a lock.
This rack is the perfect fit for most cars, including Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, and is adjustable to a maximum of 70 inches across the bed bar. The V-wing is convenient for the easy mounting and removal of bikes. There are also cushion pads on the rack to prevent bike to rack or bike to bike contact. The Let’s Go Aero V Rack is the best crossbar mount for truck beds in the market.
- Fits most trucks: This truck bed fits most domestic Dodge, Chevy, and Ford cars due to its fully adjustable position.
- Easy to install: This cross-bed rack is installable without using any tools.
- Adjustable positions: It is easy to adjust the position of bikes on this rack to meet storage needs. Bikes may position perpendicular to your cross bed with your center socket or in-line.
- Easy bike access: The v-wing of this rack rotates 360 degrees allowing easy access to mount and unload bikes.
- Outstanding security: The rack comes with a RingLocker security system to safely lock the bike and rack to the truck bed.
- Plastic material: This rack is made of a plastic called UHMWPE, which stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. Although this material is very durable with great UV values, it exposes users to chemicals such as Styrene, known to cause cancer.
Best Adjustable-Height Heavy Duty Truck Bed Rack: Yakima Overhaul HD
Yakima promotes its Overhaul HD truck bed carrier as the perfect heavy-duty rack for work and weekend adventures. Although there are many likes and a few things to dislike about this mount, one thing is sure: it has a massive payload. Its HD bars carry 500 lb and 300 lb on-road and off-road, respectively, making it perfect for carrying bikes and everything in between.
This rooftop clamp truck bed is compatible with all Yakima mounts. Bikes, surfboards, kayaks, lumber, and more can safely be transported with this mount.
The Overhaul HD also fits most truck beds. However, it does not match Toyota and Nissan’s tonneau cover models, and those models require Bed Track kits, an accessory sold separately.
Besides being a heavy-duty work of art, this rack is built to last. Thanks to engineered aluminum steel and a durable powder coat finish. The mounts weigh 60 points and can easily be installed or removed using the QuickChange rack attachment. The height of this carrier is also adjustable to a maximum of 30 inches and a 19-inch minimum.
Another impressive feature of this gear is the amount of thought put into its design. There are tie-down points integrated into the rack to fasten any lot securely. T-slot attachments ease the process of adding gear accessories and mounts quickly. There is even a built-in bottle opener.
This Yakima rack uses the Same Key System (SKS) to keep your rack securely locked to the truck bed.
- Durable: The Overhaul HD by Yakima is a long-lasting product made from aluminum steel.
- Heavy-duty capability: It has a carrying capacity of 500 lbs on-road and 400 lbs offroad.
- Fits most models: This truck fits most trucks, including select tonneau covers and most tracked beds.
- Easy to install: It is easy to mount and unmount this rack within minutes, thanks to the Yakima QuickChange attachment.
- Creative design: The rack is creatively designed for customization to include accessories such as load stops, hook straps, sidebars, and more.
- Secure: The Overhaul HD uses an integrated SKS to secure your mount to the truck bed.
- Pricey: Numerous add-ons require purchasing to “complete” the rack, such as HD crossbars. This makes the Yakima Overhaul HD one of the more expensive truck racks on this list.
Best Bike Rack For Payload: Thule TracRac TracOne Truck Rack (Aluminum)
The Thule TracOne rack can carry as much as 800 lbs when the weight is evenly distributed and provided that you install this rack correctly. The rack is made from aircraft-grade aluminum to guarantee its durability. One of the most appealing features of the Thule TracOne rack is its versatility—it can fit most trucks.
It can also accommodate most bikes, including the 528 Sprint, 528001 Sprint XT, 598003 Proride, 599000 UpRide, 561020 Outride, and the 569 Sprint T-Track. The mount easily installs within minutes with drill-free mounting that spares you holes in your truck bed.
As much as the TracOne has a significant carrying capability, it is vital to exercise sound judgment. Excessive rust in your truck bed can result in a reduction in your racks payload, and it may also lead to a system failure. Also, if this truck rack is used in conjunction with another system, then the carrying capacity of the other system should be followed. High loads transported over rough roads at top speeds may damage this truck rack.
Another key feature of the TracOne Truck rack is its aerodynamic and quiet movement aided by integrated wind deflectors. This prevents the noisy or wobbling sound that comes from carrying loads such as bikes on your truck bed. Finally, the Thule TracOne is a more budget-friendly mount than most others within its carrying capacity.
- Durable: A TracRac TracOne is made of high-grade aluminum
- Easy to install: It installs with ease using a drill-free mount
- Heavy-duty capacity: The racks carrying capacity caps at 800 lbs when weight is evenly distributed.
- Quiet: Integrated wind deflectors ensure that your truck moves quietly.
- Accessories: The rack is compatible with numerous Thule TracOne accessories such as cargo buckles, mount kits, and cantilever extensions.
- Vehicle limits may vary: Check for compatibility with their truck to avoid challenges during installation.
Pipeline Racks: Pipeline Racks is a small family-owned company, birth over 15 years ago. Its earliest beginnings started when the founder created a pickup truck bed bike rack, and friends started requesting it. The company has grown exponentially since, providing its customers with the best quality bike racks to ease outdoor fun.
Let’s Go Aero is a Colorado-based outdoor lifestyle brand with over 23 years of experience as a car gear maker. The company places its authenticity and ingenuity as its driving force.
Yakima is a brand based in the Pacific Northwest specializing in designing and manufacturing outdoor gear. Until 1979 Yakima was a small machine shop in an eponymous town in Washington State. That year, it was purchased by hardcore cyclists and kayaker Don Banducci and Steve Cole. Decades on, it has become the trusted brand that prioritizes design sensibility, safety, heritage, and street smarts into each product.
Thule spent 75 years of its existence creating solutions to make adventures more enjoyable. These solutions ease the time spent worrying about what to carry on the road. Thule makes it possible to bring your board, skis, bike, kids, gear, dreams, passion, and your life with you.
Your choice of a truck bed bike rack should be based on certain factors. These are:
- The mounting option
- Your bike’s capacity
- Installation process
- Ease of use
- Bonus features
There are diverse ways to mount your bike rack on your truck bed. You have to ensure that your brand of choice mounts in a manner that fits your needs.
The various bike rack mounting options are:
Tailgate pads are easily the most common bike mounting option for truck beds. It is easy to understand why they are so popular; they are easy to remove, can hold up to seven bikes at a time, and are easy to fix. Installation involves strapping the pad to the tailgate and draping the pad over the tailgate top.
Fork-mounted bike rack
To mount a bicycle on a fork-mounted bike rack, you must first remove the bicycle’s front wheel before locking it into the cradle.
Besides providing a cushion between the bike and the truck bed, a wheel-mounted rack locks one of your bike tires to your truck. Removing any of your tires is unnecessary.
How many bikes do you want on your rack? From single cradles to seven or more, bike racks have different capacities. When choosing your rack, you should also see to it that it meets the size of your truck bed and can support the weight of your bicycle(s).
The biggest influence on your choice of a truck bed rack is your bicycle type. The design of your bike’s frame should fit your rack, which eases the mounting and removal of your bike while keeping it secure. Also, ensure that the cradle space can accommodate the size of your bicycle tire, particularly if you are purchasing a wheel mount rack.
Avoid racks that are over engineered unless you have to. Easy bike rack installation will prevent frustration and save you some time. Most times, we only install the rack when the need arises. Therefore, buying a rack that eats up time and energy to install and remove makes no sense. The installation of such complex racks may end up in the hands of outsourced professionals who will charge their time’s worth.
Besides the installation process, the ease of mounting and removing your bike should be keenly considered when choosing a truck bed bike rack. Minimal time should be spent to bring down your bicycle, and a strenuous bike removal or mount process is a morale killer.
Your rack should safely secure your bike, giving you peace of mind whenever you leave your truck unattended. Therefore, your rack should have a locking mechanism that makes it nearly impossible to detach the rack or the bicycle from your truck. While some rigid truck bed bike racks require drilling into the truck, others require fastening.
What are the additional features that your truck bed rack has? Such bonus features increase the utility value of your truck bed rack. It could be something as simple as a bottle cork opener or a holder for surfboards, kayaks, and tents. Think of all the additional features you will like on your truck bed bike rack and choose one that can provide the same.
How do I set up a truck bed bike rack?
Although the installation process for most truck bed bike rack brands is easy to follow, each rack often has unique procedures. Therefore, following the manual or user guide accompanying your rack is crucial.
It is also advisable to seek help to assist you with the installation process. This should help reduce the risk of scratching your truck or damaging its paint during the installation process. To further prevent messing up your truck’s body, keep the points of contact on your rack and vehicle clean of any dirt or debris.
Although most truck racks have locks to secure your bikes, you can further boost it by ensuring that you have an extra cable lock around your bicycle and rack. Also, seek out racks with easy installation. Our guide has provided a detailed review of potentially suitable products. However, should you find installation cumbersome, seek out professional help.
Can my truck bed bike rack damage my car?
It is unlikely that your truck bed bike rack will damage your car paint. However, should you fail to install the rack properly, there is a possibility of your car paint spoiling at points of contact. To prevent this, fasten your rack tightly to your truck and clean all points of contact on the rack and truck bed.
Should I make a DIY truck bed rack?
A DIY truck bed rack is a great way to try out your engineering skills and creativity. Beyond that, it is preferable to purchase professionally designed and manufactured truck bed racks, which will save you the unnecessary cost of experience and save you time.
Deciding on a truck bed bike rack for your vehicle is tough. There are plenty of manufacturers, each promoting the perfect model for your needs. This review filters the wheat from the chaff to help you decide on the best rack that meets your requirement. Our selection of highly ranked brands has a product for every need, carrying capacity, and mounting style.
Truck beds racks are a great way to boost your outdoor activities. Beyond serving as excellent storage for your bike during transportation, most also help hold your gear, enhancing your outdoor experience. Step out into the open and enjoy the beautiful scenery and trails without being afraid of damaging your car’s bodywork, getting your bike stolen, or worrying about the strength or durability of your rack.