Table Of Contents
- 1 In a hurry?
- 2 Best Running Boards for Silverado Table
- 3 #1 – The Best Overall Silverado Running Board: AMP Research PowerStep 77154 XL
- 4 #2 – Best Classical Tyger Running Boards for Silverado: Auto TG-AM2C20248 Star Armor Kit
- 5 Best Silverado running Boards Brands in 2021
- 6 Silverado Running Boards Benefits
- 7 Silverado Running Boards Full Review in 2021
- 7.1 Best Value Silverado Running Board: AMP Research 76154-01A
- 7.2 Best Choice for older models: Tyger Auto TG-AM2C20108 Star Armor Fit 1999-2006
- 7.3 Best all-Terrains Silverado Running Board: APS Wheel to Wheel Running Boards 6in
- 7.4 Best Warranty Silverado Running Board: Tyger Auto TG-RS5C50247 Riser 5” 2019-2021 Chevy Silverado 1500/GMC Sierra 1500 & 2020-2021 2500/3500HD Crew Cab 5inch
- 7.5 Best for Budget Silverado Running Board: Tyger Auto TG-RS5C50047 Riser 5inch Stainless Steel 2007-2018 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 and 2007-2019 2500/3500.
- 8 Silverado Running Boards FAQ
- 8.1 Q: Are TG-RS5C50047 Riser running boards for 2020 Chevy Silverado?
- 8.2 Q: Are PowerStep XL running boards for Chevy Silverado 2017?
- 8.3 Q: Does AMP Research offer running boards for GMC Sierra 1500?
- 8.4 Q: Are GMC Sierra running boards and Chevrolet Silverado running boards the same?
- 8.5 Q: Are retractable running boards for Chevy Silverado any good?
- 9 Conclusions
Running boards are invaluable add-ons that give an SUV or truck a stylistic design. Beyond the attractive exterior, running boards add convenience and accessibility. In recognizing this critical role, manufacturers include it at release. However, running boards are subject to wear and tear, and aftermarket players such as AMP Research and APS fill the gap. . The article provides a list of high-end Silverado running boards to pick from.
In a hurry?
Skim through our two picks featuring the best overall and the best classical running boards if your time is limited.
- Best Electric Silverado Running boards for high-performance: PowerStep XL Electric Running Boards Plug N’ Play System for 2014-2018 Silverado & Sierra 1500, 2015-2019 Silverado & Sierra 2500/3500 with Crew Cabs
- Best Classical Running boards for Silverado: Tyger Auto – Star Armor Fit 2019-2021 Silverado/Sierra 1500; 20-21 2500/3500 Crew Cab Textured Black TG-AM2C20248
Best Running Boards for Silverado Table
Silverado and Sierra 2014-2018 1500
Silverado and Sierra 2015-2019 2500 & 3500
AMP Research 76154-01A
Silverado and Sierra 2014-2018 1500
Silverado and Sierra 2015-2019 2500 & 3500
Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2019-2021 1500
Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2020-2021 2500 & 3500
Silverado and Sierra 1999-2006 crew cabs
Silverado 2009-2018 1500
Silverado 2010-2021 2500 & 3500
Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2019-2021 1500
Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2020-2021 2500 & 3500
Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2007-2018 1500
Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2007-2019 2500 & 3500
#1 – The Best Overall Silverado Running Board: AMP Research PowerStep 77154 XL
AMP Research PowerStep XL features a bold and rugged construction. It is designed with lifted trucks in mind as it comes with an additional 3″ lowered step boards. These Silverado running boards are new-generation products inspired by the current technology of automation. PowerStep XL is electric-powered, meaning its operation is automatic. It extends when the driver opens the door and retracts on closure. Everything is automated! The rail is built on marine-grade aluminum, while the pivots are stainless steel to enhance strength and stability. This quality construction ensures the running boards support 600 pounds. The PTFE coating and the anodized rail improve the product’s resistance to corrosion and guarantee maximum durability. It also incorporates a LED lighting that shines on the board, a useful feature during the night. The plug-and-play design of the product makes its installation easy. This Silverado running boards’ description won’t be complete without the mention of a 5-year warranty with an alternative of 60,000 miles. This confirms the manufacturer’s confidence in the product.
AMP Research PowerStep XL is designed for trucks and sport utility vehicles. Its fitment description includes the 2014-2018 Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 and 2015-2019 Silverado and Sierra 2500/3500 models. However, it excludes diesel trucks.
- Comes with a patented and stylish design giving status to the truck. Everyone loves something unique, after all.
- Built on durable materials to reduce repairs and save and extend the running boards life.
- The automatic operation of the running boards makes them convenient for the elderly and children as they stretch a little bit lower than the permanent options.
- The LED lighting makes lights the stepping boards for night use.
- Constructed to be overtly durable
- A 5-year Warranty with an alternative of 60,000 miles confirms the makers’ confidence in these Silverado running boards.
- Electrically powered operation is an advanced technology, and as expected, these boards are a little bit pricey than their fixed versions.
- Its retractable design makes cleaning not a not rosy affair.
PowerStep 77154 XL is the best overall in our Silverado running boards review because it’s a high-end product built on current technology and maximum durability accompanied by a longer warranty.
#2 – Best Classical Tyger Running Boards for Silverado: Auto TG-AM2C20248 Star Armor Kit
The model is the best classical Silverado running boards in the market for its desirable features, including first-grade material. Though an aftermarket product, the quality showcased by Star Armor Kit is at the OE standards and sometimes beyond. The stepping pads are made from Tyger’s patented STAR metal., This gives the truck a stylistic design associated with class, while the dual girder system protects the underside against damage. The Bolt-on-design makes the TG-AM2C20248 easy to install. The manufacturer guarantees the product with a 5-year warranty.
Tyger Auto TG-AM2C20248 Star Armor Kit fitment category includes the latest Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra models, including the 2021 trucks. It fits on 2019-2021 1500 CC Chevy Silverado trucks, adding style to the truck’s exterior. This is also a 2020-2021 Silverado running boards for 2500 and 3500 crew cabs. The same applies to 2500 and 3500 GMC Sierra 2020-2021 crew cabs.
- The running boards are designed with DIY installation capability, meaning anyone can install them with the right tools and confidence. Includes installation instructions.
- The dual girder system construction shields the underside from damage
- Comes with a 5-year hassle-free warranty that is a guarantee to in a high-quality product
- Has a limited fitment range. The product is not suitable for the 2019 Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500 trucks.
- 4-full-size doored crew cabs are the only ones accommodated.
- Do not install on standard height trucks lest they hang too low, increasing the chance of hitting something and damaging the running boards.
TG-AM2C20248 running boards are constructed with the lifted trucks and SUVs in mind and can be a good budget option for the pricey retractable running boards.
The American company is a towering brand in the automotive industry and a trendsetter of innovation. The firm has a wide assortment of premium running boards for GMC Sierra and running boards for Chevy Silverado. It almost has something for every car owner, fitting into 1500, 2500, or 3500 HD trucks. Its major categorizations include smart series, XL, and Xtreme. AMP Research stands out because of its innovative designs featuring power running boards Silverado complete with LED system. We shall be reviewing two of the company’s Silverado running boards. They are AMP Research PowerStep XL and AMP Research 76154-01A.
Founded in 2013 by US and Canadian automotive experts, Tyger Auto has cut a niche in the industry through a culture of innovation and is now a highly-rated manufacturer. It is headquartered in California, USA. Tyger Auto’s product range includes tonneau covers, fender flares, running boards, and bumper guards. The company manufactures Sierra running boards and Chevy Silverado running boards for 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks. The buyer should be sure to confirm that they are ordering matching Tyger Auto products. The company provides a search tool to guide buyers on fitting running boards. Tyger Auto has a culture of manufacturing aftermarket auto-parts meeting and often exceeding OE quality, and it is not by chance that our review has four of its products. The review includes Silverado running boards budget picks such as TG-RS5C50047 Riser and premium boards such as TG-AM2C20248 and TG-AM2C20108 star Armor Fit 1999-2006.
The Ontario-based brand specializes in aftermarket auto parts such as grilles, truck armor, Nerf bars, fender flares, and running boards for Silverado and other trucks. The firm takes pride inconsistent quality and has been around since 1995. In the running boards’ category, buyers can choose from H-series, S-series, and T-series categories. These boards are designed for a wide range of vehicles, including Chevy and Sierra. Making into our list of seven best Silverado running boards review is APS Wheel to Wheel Running Boards 6″.
Silverado Running Boards Benefits
There are several benefits of having Silverado running boards on the truck, but a few justify why many auto part companies are manufacturing them.
- They act as ladders: Running boards come in handy with trucks whose designs are often lifted and can prove troublesome for the elderly and children.
- They provide a shield against road debris: While driving, tire grooves will always pick gravel and other road debris that could be thrown as high as the vehicle’s height. With the kinetic energy they possess, the debris can cause scratches to the SUV. Install running boards can prevent such scratches.
- Running boards act like doormats. Drivers and passengers can use the running boards to remove mud from shoes ensuring that the vehicle’s interior remains clean.
- It adds style to the truck: Running boards will add looks to the Silverado or Sierra. There is a perceived difference between a Silverado with running boards and one without.
Silverado Running Boards Full Review in 2021
Here is the list of the 5 best Silverado running boards with exhaustive descriptions to narrow down the search. All the running boards on the list are high-end products from the best brands.
Best Value Silverado Running Board: AMP Research 76154-01A
76154-01A gives value for money as it costs less than PowerStep XL yet retains most of the excellent features of the latter. The product is designed with almost every feature of its sister product PowerStep 77154 XL. However, the latter wins on extreme performance, a justification for the higher price tag. AMP Research 76154 is an automatic product whose opening and closing operations are electric-powered. The die-cast aluminum material gives it strength, while the stainless steel pins for the pivot ensure enhanced stability. Because of this engineering, these running boards can support up to 600 pounds without yielding. The exterior design appeals to the eye and gives the truck an easy and discreet look. It also integrates a LED lighting system for night illumination besides enhancing the boards’ aesthetics. Other features that make the product worth buying include the pinch-proof technology that increases the running boards pressure sensitivity, PTFE coating for corrosion resistance, and a 5-year warranty.
AMP Research 76154-01A is suitable for owners of Silverado and Sierra trucks. It is designed for the 1500 CC 2014-2018 truck models and all the Silverado and Sierra 2500/3500 double crew cabs 2015-2019 models. Diesel-powered trucks are excluded from this list.
- designed with premium material to resist corrosion
- Integrated with LED lighting system to make the boards visible at all times
- stainless steel pivot pins for stability
- Die-cast aluminum resists corrosion and adds strength
- Comes with a 5-year warranty, a mark of the manufacturer’s confidence in the product
- Like all other retractable Silverado running boards, cleaning AMP Research 76154-01A can be challenging as the doors must be opened.
- They are also pricey than fixed Silverado running boards.
AMP Research 76154-01A is a premium product built on current technology and strong materials for durability. These features the product conspicuous enough to compete with PowerStep 77154 XL, only losing out on extreme performance.
Best Choice for older models: Tyger Auto TG-AM2C20108 Star Armor Fit 1999-2006
The running board is supported by Silverado 2006-1999. This black textured product from Tyger showcases superior qualities any excellent Silverado running boards should have. Its design is a continuation of Tyger Auto’s tradition of quality. It is made from STAR’s US-patented metal material to enhance durability. The tube’s ends are sealed to keep away water and dirt. The built-on material is pre-treated and reinforced with a special coating for rust resistance. This engineering extends the life of the running boards, saving one the costs of early replacement. The product features a bolt-on installation design for DIY and comes with a 5-year warranty as a mark of confidence. Moreover, buyers of TGAM2C20108 are guaranteed Tyger’s lifetime customer support.
TGAM2C20108 Star Armor is an excellent product for the 1999-2006 GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado 1500 trucks. There is a slight difference for 2500 and 3500 truck models as only 2001-2006 are supported. This means owners of 1999 and 2000 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 are excluded. As a reminder, TGAM2C20108 Star Armor is only designed for 4-full-sized door crew cabs and not extended cabs.
- Sealed tubes make the running boards water and dirt proof
- Improved rust resistance through pre-treated metal
- Dual girder system for enhancing protection against damage
- Guaranteed customer support
- Ease of installation with a bolt-on-design
- Limited fitment. It is exclusive for 4-full-sized doored crew cabs locking out the extended cabs.
- The running boards are not suitable for muddy terrains.
- Not fit for truck models of 2007 and beyond.
TGAM2C20108 Star Armor is suitable for lifted SUVs and trucks. Fixing them in standard height vehicles is not a good idea as this poses the risk of hitting a bump with them or other raised grounds that may damage the truck.
Best all-Terrains Silverado Running Board: APS Wheel to Wheel Running Boards 6in
These running boards for Chevy Silverado 2016 include disruptive engineering that boots the nerf bars favoring iBoards. It is built for daily driving and tough terrains. The product is designed and marketed by APS, an ISO-certified car and truck auto parts maker, since 1995. APS Wheel to Wheel Running Boards 6″ benefits from the firm’s reputable experience and features corrosion and UV resistant design. As a shift from the traditional designs that feature bulky metals, APS Wheel to Wheel Running Boards 6i’ is made from aircraft-grade aluminum giving the iBoards an extra light property to keep up with the current light-weighting trends in the automotive industry while maintaining top strength. Chevy Silverado running boards feature a patented anti-slip construction insuring the driver and the passengers against falling over when using the running boards. The surface area is wide enough to shield the truck from a careless driver at the parking lot. The running boards installation is made easy with a mounting kit and user guide in the package. This is a key consideration for the DIY community.
The running boards are designed for 2007-2018 GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado crew cabs with beds measuring 6.5 feet. The running boards are also designed for 2500 and 3500 heavy-duty trucks 2019 models. The list of fitments includes the 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 LD as well as Sierra. Note that APS Wheel to Wheel Running Boards 6 is not for the 2007 2500/3500 classic models.
- Anti-slip engineering provides extra safety.
- The running boards are fit for several road conditions
- Offers corrosion protection and rust resistance
- The wide surface stepping guarantees extra comfort on foot.
- Easy to install design
- The running boards can go lower, reducing the vehicle’s off-the-ground height. This puts the truck at risk of hitting objects.
- The powder coating can be susceptible to corrosion
- Limited in fitment
APS Wheel to Wheel Running Boards 6 is a break from the common brands and is suitable for anyone with an affinity for simplicity and aesthetics.
Best Warranty Silverado Running Board: Tyger Auto TG-RS5C50247 Riser 5” 2019-2021 Chevy Silverado 1500/GMC Sierra 1500 & 2020-2021 2500/3500HD Crew Cab 5inch
This is another product from Tyger Auto and is an option to other Tyger premium Silverado running boards. The product comes with a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects which is interesting. The quality that goes into the design of this aftermarket product matches that of the OE. The running boards are primarily designed for passenger-type SUVs. The marine-grade stainless steel enhances the running boards strength. Besides, these running boards for GMC Sierra and Chevy include non-slip technology to improve safety. It is also important to note that TG- RS5C50247 is UV-resistant. All these features enhance the product’s durability.
The design incorporates bolt-on installation to support DIY.
Tyger Auto TG-RS5C50247 Riser 5″ is a 2019-2021 Chevy Silverado running boards 1500 and fits the same GMC Sierra make and model. The product fits2020-2021 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500 heavy-duty crew cabs. However, it is not a 2019 Chevy Silverado running boards 2500/3500 nor a 2019 GMC Sierra running boards 2500/3500.
- Easy to install. Installing the product will take the least time, mostly below 100 minutes.
- The lifetime warranty covers the running boards from manufacturing defects
- the anti-slip engineering protects the driver from slip-related injuries
- Benefits from Tyger Auto’s tradition of stylish design
- The end caps are covered with plastic which invites doubts. the durability of the product
- It has the lowest ground clearance of about 4″, which limits its suitability for the off-road.
- The driver has to be careful during snow seasons because of the plastic tread.
The product’s quality is decent, and its price is affordable for many making it our fair alternative to PowerStep XL. However, it trails premium and pricey products from the same brand.
Best for Budget Silverado Running Board: Tyger Auto TG-RS5C50047 Riser 5inch Stainless Steel 2007-2018 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 and 2007-2019 2500/3500.
TG-RS5C50047 is a budget option in the gallery of Tyger’s premium products. The boards have a wide range of fitment covering passenger vehicles. The running boards boast a brand new stylish design featuring marine-grade stainless steel. This Material engineering makes the product sturdy. The tubing on the step pads is good for foot traction, preventing slipping. Besides, the TG-RS5C50047 Riser 5inch is designed to fight off UV and comes with a bolt-on design for DIY installation to support DIY fixing. The lifetime warranty spices things up to the already budget-friendly Chevy Silverado running boards.
TG-RS5C50047 is designed with a number of crew cabs in mind. It fits well with all 2007-2018 GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado 1500 trucks. Besides, these running boards marry well with 2500 and 3500 models of 2007-2019. TG-RS5C50047 is also a 2019 Silverado light-duty board and also fits Sierra limited model. However, it is not a 2019 Silverado 1500 running board, nor does it fit a 2019 Sierra 1500. Besides, the running boards do not suit the Sierra classic of 2007.
- The product is affordable
- The non-slip design enhances safety
- Easy to install because of the bolt-on-holes
- Steel design for durability
- The product fitment is limited
- The running boards are not for all terrains
- Some buyers have complained of fast rusting and corrosion
- Not the best pick in a list that has other premium Silverado running boards
It is the best budget Silverado running boards from our list. It is the best pick for value on a tight budget.
Q: Are TG-RS5C50047 Riser running boards for 2020 Chevy Silverado?
Unfortunately no. This product only fits for truck models between 2007 and 2018.
Q: Are PowerStep XL running boards for Chevy Silverado 2017?
Yes. PowerStep fits this truck. The running boards are built for Silverado and Sierra 1500 truck 2014-2018 makes. For the 2500/3500 trucks, 2015-2019 models are supported. Kindly note that this category excludes diesel-powered trucks.
Q: Does AMP Research offer running boards for GMC Sierra 1500?
Yes. Select one from their automatic running boards, Silverado and Sierra series. PowerStep XL or 76154-01A should suffice but always order matching boards.
Q: Are GMC Sierra running boards and Chevrolet Silverado running boards the same?
GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado are twin trucks. Thus, the running boards for the Chevy Silverado would be compatible with the GMC Sierra of the same make.
Q: Are retractable running boards for Chevy Silverado any good?
We are in the era of automation, from manual to automatic transmission systems, from driver-guided vehicles to Tesla’s self-driving cars. Hence, retractable Silverado running boards are the future.
Running boards are a must-have for lifted trucks. Consider the best running boards for durability, safety, and fitment. PowerStep 77154 XL suit as the best Silverado running boards. The stepping boards are electric-powered, extending and retracting automatically. Thus, the product wins on technology, lowest drop without compromising ground clearance, and maximum convenience.