Those who have held on to their Samsung Galaxy S3 handsets realise that Samsung isn’t going to update their old device anymore. However this doesn’t mean that they cannot get their hands on Android 5.0 Lollipop as the XDA Developers have come up with a ROM for the device.
The XDA Developers are offering Android 5.0 Lollipop for owners of the Samsung Galaxy S3 version GT-i9300. Bear in mind that right now the ROM is in the early stages and so the graphics are not working, the device doesn’t sleep and the GPS and colour calibration are not working. If you want to check it out you will need 50% battery left and you can check the installation instructions below.
• Download the arter97 kernel file and arter97’s Android 5.0 Lollipop update firmware from the source link below this tutorial for your Samsung Galaxy S3.
• Extract the Lollipop ROM ZIP file and put the ROM back-up in the following location – /sdcard/clockwordmod/backup on your Samsung Galaxy S3. Also transfer the kernel zip file to your SD card.
• Enter recovery mode on your device and perform a full wipe of the system, cache, dalvik cache, and data.
• Restore back-up. This will actually install the Android Lollipop ROM to your device, as you have stored the 5.0 firmware in the backup folder on your device.
You will then have to install the arter97 kernel, don’t restart the device as the ROM will not boot without it. Remain in recovery mode to complete the installation.
• Choose the kernel ZIP file that you transferred to the SD card on your device in recovery and flash it.
• Reboot your device. The ROM installation process is now complete.
The arter97 kernel is supported by various Galaxy S3 variants like the Galaxy S3 SK-3G (SHW-M440S), SK-LTE (SHV-E210S), KT-LTE (SHV-E210K), and the LG-LTE (SHV-E210L). So you could follow the above procedure to install the Galaxy S3 Android 5.0
On these device too. At the moment the only handset that you cannot install the Android 5.0 Lollipop update on is the LTE version of the Samsung Galaxy S3. The new kernel brings with it some superb features and these include improvements to the speed, the latest Linux base, improvements to the battery, CPU overclocking, dual boot and new I/O and CPU governors, among other things.
If everything has gone to plan you will now have Android 5.0 installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3, congratulations.