LG has already confirmed that the old G2 will be getting the Android 5.0 Lollipop update in the near future. Despite that fact, G2 users can already skip the wait and jump straight to applying the latest OS on their smartphone.
This is made possible by XDA developer, Rashed97. The lad has just developed a custom ROM which contains the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop, specifically for the LG G2. Unlike most other custom Lollipop, this one is free of errors on most of the G2’s core features.
Rashed97 revealed that the issues are only with the video recording features, GPS and cellular network that affect the LS/VS980 variants of the G2.
In addition to that, the developer announced that the custom ROM is compatible with the LG G2 D800, D801, D802, LS980, and VS980 variants. So if you are using any of the aforementioned devices and wish to update it to the latest Lollipop, you can refer to the installation guide below.
1. Make sure a backup is created and the device is already rooted with CWM. We recommend doing so with NANDROID.
2. A minimum of 50% battery life to ensure no disruption when installation is taking place.
3. CM12 ROM ZIP downloaded for the G2.
4. Google Apps Package downloaded.
1. Transfer both the Custom ROM and Google Apps Package to your G2.
2. Boot device into recovery mode and wipe cache, data and system partition.
3. Flash the CM12 ROM.
4. Then, Flash the Google Apps Package.
5. The G2 should reboot and it will run on the Lollipop OS.