With every passing day, more and more Android-operated devices get treated to the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop update via unofficial means. The latest is with the Sony Xperia Z Ultra, which can now update to the latest OS thanks to the custom ROM developed by XDA developers.
The custom ROM is developed by XDA’s Saatvik and the developer was honest enough to share that there are some issues with the firmware. Saatvik explained that the Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM is still in its early build and he has yet to solve some issues with the video playback, camera, LTE signal indicator and GPS. Thankfully, every other function is still working fine.
On the bright side of things, Saatvik promises on future updates that will resolve the problems with the custom ROM. With that being said, Sony Xperia Z Ultra users can jump straight to updating their device to the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop through following the instructions below.
• Create a custom backup of your files and phone system with ClockworkMod.
• Enable USB Debugging on your device.
• A minimum of 80% battery life.
• A rooted Xperia Z Ultra with the latest recovery installed.
• AOSP Android 5.0, Fastboot, ADB Files and Google Apps Package Downloaded
1. Extract Fastboot and ADB files to a separate folder on a PC.
2. Move boot.img, system.img and userdata.img from the AOSP download into the above folder.
3. Boot Xperia Z Ultra into Fastboot mode
4. Open the Command Window in the folder containing OSP ROM files and key in fastboot flash boot boot.img, fastboot flash system system.img and fastboot flash userdata userdata.img in that sequence.
5. Once process is done, type in ‘fastboot reboot’.
6. Now, flash any kernel that has recovery on Xperia Z Ulta.
7. Reboot the phone into recovery.
8. Flash Google Apps Package.
9. Reboot the device and Android 5.0 Lollipop should be running then.