XDA developer, varun.chitre15, has launched an all-new ROM that contains the Android 5.0 Lollipop and it is designed specifically for the Sony Xperia L. Users that are using the smartphone should be relieved upon reading this as the Xperia L has just been axed from any future updates by Sony.
On the downside of things, the ROM is still in its early stages of development. In other words, it comes with some issues like bugs and malfunctioning applications. In detail, the developer revealed that the Wi-Fi function, Bluetooth connectivity, RIL and GPS are faulty.
If you are an Xperia L user and wouldn’t mind facing the issues to try out the Android 5.0 Lollipop, then you can refer to the installation instructions below. Do note that we will not be held responsible for any damages that could happen to the smartphone.
• Before following the installation guide, ensure that you have backed up all important data of the phone. This procedure will completely wipe out the internal storage of the device.
• The bootloader of Xperia L should be unlocked.
• The phone should have above 80% charge.
• Check the model number of Xperia L and install custom firmware accordingly. Flashing this in an incorrect variant might brick the device.
1) Extract c2105_alpha1_android-5.0.0_r2_fastboot.zip in a folder on your PC to get the following files: boot.img, system.img and userdat.img.
2) Extract adb_and_fastboot_files.zip in a separate folder on the PC
3) Copy the files which you have got in step-1 to the ADB and Fastboot folder
4) Switch off the Xperia L> Press the Volume Up button> Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable while holding the Volume Up button. Xperia L should now be in the Fastboot Mode and the LED light of the phone should turn to blue.
5) Open the folder where all the files are extracted. Open a command window inside the folder. For this press Shift+Right Click in an empty space inside the folder and select Open command window here for the menu
6) Type in the following commands in an orderly manner to install Android 5.0 on Xperia L: fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
7) When the installation is completed, reboot the Xperia L by executing fastboot reboot.
When the rebooting is completed, Xperia L should be running new AOSP ROM based on Android 5.0 Lollipop.