Sony has made it clear that the Xperia L won’t be getting the Android 5.0 Lollipop update. However, Xperia L users shouldn’t be let down by this as there is another way for you to enjoy the latest Android OS.
It appears that XDA developers have already created a custom ROM for the Sony Xperia L and it will update the device to the Android 5.0 Lollipop. Thee ROM was created by varun.chitre15 and the lad warned that it is still an early build. This means that the Lollipop has some issues with it.
In detail, the problem involves the Wi-Fi function, Bluetooth connectivity, RIL and GPS. Aside from that, everything is working perfectly fine. Furthermore, there are bound to be updates coming in the future that will fix the issue.
If you wouldn’t mind the cons with the custom Lollipop ROM, then here’s how you can update your Xperia L.
• Before following the installation guide, ensure that you have backed up all important data of the phone. This procedure will completely wipe out the internal storage of the device.
• The bootloader of Xperia L should be unlocked.
• The phone should have above 80% charge.
• Check the model number of Xperia L and install custom firmware accordingly. Flashing this in an incorrect variant might brick the device.
1) Extract c2105_alpha1_android-5.0.0_r2_fastboot.zip in a folder on your PC to get the following files: boot.img, system.img and userdat.img.
2) Extract adb_and_fastboot_files.zip in a separate folder on the PC
3) Copy the files which you have got in step-1 to the ADB and Fastboot folder
4) Switch off the Xperia L> Press the Volume Up button> Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable while holding the Volume Up button. Xperia L should now be in the Fastboot Mode and the LED light of the phone should turn to blue.
5) Open the folder where all the files are extracted. Open a command window inside the folder. For this press Shift+Right Click in an empty space inside the folder and select Open command window here for the menu
6) Type in the following commands in an orderly manner to install Android 5.0 on Xperia L: fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
7) When the installation is completed, reboot the Xperia L by executing fastboot reboot.
When the rebooting is completed, Xperia L should be running new AOSP ROM based on Android 5.0 Lollipop.