Sony has confirmed that the Xperia L won’t be receiving any future updates, which also includes the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop. Nevertheless, users shouldn’t be let down by this as they can still get the latest OS via unofficial means.
This is now possible after XDA’s varun.chitre15 created a custom ROM containing the Android 5.0 Lollipop just for the Sony Xperia L. On the downside of things, the ROM is still in its early build, which means that some functions are still unavailable.
Varun.chitre15 was courteous enough to share that the non-functioning features include the Wi-Fi function, Bluetooth connectivity, RIL and GPS. On a positive note, there will be updates coming in the future to patch the faults in the ROM.
So, if you are a Sony Xperia L user and wish to update your device to the latest Lollipop OS, you can do so by going through the following guide.
• Before following the installation guide, ensure that you have backed up all important data of the phone. This procedure will completely wipe out the internal storage of the device.
• The bootloader of Xperia L should be unlocked.
• The phone should have above 80% charge.
• Check the model number of Xperia L and install custom firmware accordingly. Flashing this in an incorrect variant might brick the device.
1) Extract c2105_alpha1_android-5.0.0_r2_fastboot.zip in a folder on your PC to get the following files: boot.img, system.img and userdat.img.
2) Extract adb_and_fastboot_files.zip in a separate folder on the PC
3) Copy the files which you have got in step-1 to the ADB and Fastboot folder
4) Switch off the Xperia L> Press the Volume Up button> Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable while holding the Volume Up button. Xperia L should now be in the Fastboot Mode and the LED light of the phone should turn to blue.
5) Open the folder where all the files are extracted. Open a command window inside the folder. For this press Shift+Right Click in an empty space inside the folder and select Open command window here for the menu
6) Type in the following commands in an orderly manner to install Android 5.0 on Xperia L: fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
7) When the installation is completed, reboot the Xperia L by executing fastboot reboot.
When the rebooting is completed, Xperia L should be running new AOSP ROM based on Android 5.0 Lollipop.