Phone manufacturers can take forever to update their device whenever possible but not XDA developers. The programming folks have been out and about in developing the Lollipop ROM for various smartphones.
Just recently, the XDA developers launched a custom ROM containing the Android 5.0 Lollipop. Now, they have launched one for the old Samsung Galaxy S3 too.
On the downside of things, the custom ROM is still in its early build. The developers were courteous enough to share that the radio, storage Wi-Fi, GPS, and screen off are faulty with the Lollipop. Then again, an update will be rolled out consistently to fix the issues on the Android 5.0 Lollipop.
S3 users should also note that the custom ROM is only compatible with the GT-I9300 model. If you are among them and wish to get the Lollipop experience early, just follow the installation guide below.
– Minimum 50% battery
– Backup of all personal files
– An already rooted S3 via CWM recovery and unlocked boot loader
– S3 drivers for the PC
1. Install the ROM by restoring the backup from the SD Card backup folder.
2. Extract the zip file and copy and paste the Rom in the device.
3. Enter recovery mode
4. Now, perform a full date wipe on the device.
5. Now, restore the backup that was copied and flash the downloaded kernel.
By now, the device should be restarting and once it is booted, you will see the S3 running on the Android 5.0 Lollipop.