The LG G2 is confirmed to be getting the highly anticipated Android 5.0 Lollipop update from the manufacturer. On the other hand, G2 users can skip the wait and jump straight to updating their device manually, with the aid of XDA developers.
In detail, Rashed97 has developed a custom ROM which contains the Android 5.0 Lollipop specifically for the LG G2 D800, D801, D802, LS980, and VS980 variants.
On the downside of things, there are a couple of malfunctioning features with the custom Lollipop and they are discovered to be with the video recording and GPS function on the LG G2. As for the LS/VS 980 model, they will encounter some problems with cellular data. Aside from all that, everything else works fine.
The good news is that Rashed97 promises to push out some updates in the future to fix the problems. So if you are a G2 user and wish to take a lick at the Lollipop, you can refer to the installation instruction below.
1. Make sure a backup is created and the device is already rooted with CWM. We recommend doing so with NANDROID.
2. A minimum of 50% battery life to ensure no disruption when installation is taking place.
3. CM12 ROM ZIP downloaded for the G2.
4. Google Apps Package downloaded.
1. Transfer both the Custom ROM and Google Apps Package to your G2.
2. Boot device into recovery mode and wipe cache, data and system partition.
3. Flash the CM12 ROM.
4. Then, Flash the Google Apps Package.
5. The G2 should reboot and it will run on the Lollipop OS.