The LG G2 is a great device that is months away from receiving the Android 5.0 Lollipop OS from its manufacturer. On the other hand, G2 D800, D801, D802, LS980, or VS980 users can skip the wait and install the Lollipop manually by way of XDA.
Rashed97, an XDA programmer, has just created a custom ROM containing the Android 5.0 Lollipop and it is built specifically for the aforementioned devices. The firmware is still very new which means that there are some non-functioning features like the video recording, GPS and the LS/VS980’s cellular network.
On the bright side of things, Rashed97 promises that he will personally fix those issues and send it out in the near future. So if you are a G2 user and wish to update your device now, you can do so through referring to the following guide.
1. Make sure a backup is created and the device is already rooted with CWM. We recommend doing so with NANDROID.
2. A minimum of 50% battery life to ensure no disruption when installation is taking place.
3. CM12 ROM ZIP downloaded for the G2.
4. Google Apps Package downloaded.
1. Transfer both the Custom ROM and Google Apps Package to your G2.
2. Boot device into recovery mode and wipe cache, data and system partition.
3. Flash the CM12 ROM.
4. Then, Flash the Google Apps Package.
5. The G2 should reboot and it will run on the Lollipop OS.