Just yesterday, LG launched the Android 5.0 Lollipop update to its G3 smartphone. Soon, the same update will be coming to the LG G2 but that does not mean that G2 users must wait until then to enjoy the latest OS from Google.
Simply put, G2 users can already update their device to the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop thanks to a custom ROM developed by XDA’s Rashed97. While the ROM does offer G2 users the complete Android 5.0 Lollipop experience, it is also important to note that it is in its early build and there are some issues with it.
Rashed97 was kind enough to share that the issues are restricted to the GPS and some video recording features. For the LG G2 LS/VS980 variants, there is an added issue with connectivity.
Regardless, this does not mean that the LG G2 can’t function Android 5.0 Lollipop normally. As such, G2 users can stop thinking and waiting and jump straight to applying the update as per below.
1. Make sure a backup is created and the device is already rooted with CWM. We recommend doing so with NANDROID.
2. A minimum of 50% battery life to ensure no disruption when installation is taking place.
3. CM12 ROM ZIP downloaded for the G2.
4. Google Apps Package downloaded.
1. Transfer both the Custom ROM and Google Apps Package to your G2.
2. Boot device into recovery mode and wipe cache, data and system partition.
3. Flash the CM12 ROM.
4. Then, Flash the Google Apps Package.
5. The G2 should reboot and it will run on the Lollipop OS.