If you are using the LG G2 D800, D801, D802, LS980, or VS980, you now have the option to skip the wait for the official Android 5.0 Lollipop update to get released and manually apply the latest OS on your own.
This is now possible after XDA’s Rashed97 announced that he has created a custom ROM containing the Android 5.0 Lollipop and it is built specifically for the aforementioned devices.
On the downside of things, Rashed97 admitted that the custom ROM is still in its early build and there are some faulty functions that come with it. The good news is that the non-working features are only with the video recording, GPS and the LS/VS980’s cellular network.
Aside from that, everything else is working fine. Rashed97 even promised future updates to arrive and fix the issues. The custom ROM is available at XDA’s website and if you are interested in getting a Lollipop treat, you can refer to the following guide.
1. Make sure a backup is created and the device is already rooted with CWM. We recommend doing so with NANDROID.
2. A minimum of 50% battery life to ensure no disruption when installation is taking place.
3. CM12 ROM ZIP downloaded for the G2.
4. Google Apps Package downloaded.
1. Transfer both the Custom ROM and Google Apps Package to your G2.
2. Boot device into recovery mode and wipe cache, data and system partition.
3. Flash the CM12 ROM.
4. Then, Flash the Google Apps Package.
5. The G2 should reboot and it will run on the Lollipop OS.