It can be really frustrating to be a G2 user right now with LG still pending to launch the highly anticipated Android 5.0 Lollipop update but the pain of waiting is about to go away.
XDA developer, Rashed97 had just launched a new custom ROM which contains the latest Lollipop OS and it is developed specifically for the LG G2 D800, D801, D802, LS980 and VS980 variants. While this may be an unofficial update, it won’t matter much since the G2 is an old device and most of them are already out of warranty.
On the downside of things, the custom ROM is still in its early build and there are a couple of small issues with it. Then again, Rashed97 has already promised to launch a fix for the issues later in the future hence making the custom ROM update worth the gamble for every G2 users.
If you are one of the many LG G2 users and wish to get your hands on the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop OS, you can head over to XDA and download the custom ROM together with the Google Apps package. Just make sure your device is rooted before applying the following steps.
1. Make sure a backup is created and the device is already rooted with CWM. We recommend doing so with NANDROID.
2. A minimum of 50% battery life to ensure no disruption when installation is taking place.
3. CM12 ROM ZIP downloaded for the G2.
4. Google Apps Package downloaded.
1. Transfer both the Custom ROM and Google Apps Package to your G2.
2. Boot device into recovery mode and wipe cache, data and system partition.
3. Flash the CM12 ROM.
4. Then, Flash the Google Apps Package.
5. The G2 should reboot and it will run on the Lollipop OS.