If you are an LG G2 user, you are in for a massive treat. XDA Developer’s Rashed97 has created a custom ROM containing the Android 5.0 Lollipop specifically for the LG G2 D800, D801, D802, LS980, and VS980 variants.
This means that you can skip the wait for the official Android 5.0 Lollipop to come from LG and jump straight to updating your device now.
On the downside of things, the custom ROM is still not the final build so there are bound to be some issues with it. Nevertheless Rashed97 was courtesy enough to share that the problems are only with the video recording and GPS on some devices. Also, there’s no cellular data on the LS/VS980 variants of the G2.
On a positive note, Rashed97 confirms that he will personally update the ROM to fix the issues on it. So if you wish to update you G2 to the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop, here’s what you should do.
1. Make sure a backup is created and the device is already rooted with CWM. We recommend doing so with NANDROID.
2. A minimum of 50% battery life to ensure no disruption when installation is taking place.
3. CM12 ROM ZIP downloaded for the G2.
4. Google Apps Package downloaded.
1. Transfer both the Custom ROM and Google Apps Package to your G2.
2. Boot device into recovery mode and wipe cache, data and system partition.
3. Flash the CM12 ROM.
4. Then, Flash the Google Apps Package.
5. The G2 should reboot and it will run on the Lollipop OS.