Back in September 2013, LG launched the G2 and it is viewed as one of the most affordable and powerful smartphone at that time. Even today, there are still many G2 users around and this has result in LG to include the smartphone in their Android 5.0 Lollipop update roadmap.
On the other hand, G2 users can skip the wait for the Android 5.0 Lollipop and apply the OS straight away via the custom ROM that was developed by XDA’s Rashed97. The ROM basically contains the Android 5.0 Lollipop and was built specifically for the G2 D800, D801, D802, LS980, and VS980 variants.
On the flip side of things, the custom ROM for the G2 is still in its early build. In other words, there are some problems with the Android 5.0 Lollipop and the list includes the video recording and GPS functions. Also, the LS/VS980 variant has some issue with the cellular network. The upside to this is that Rashed97 promises to patch the problems in the future.
So, if you’re a G2 user and wish to get a taste of the Lollipop right away, all you have to do is download the custom ROM at XDA, together with the Google Apps Package and follow the instruction below.
1. Make sure a backup is created and the device is already rooted with CWM. We recommend doing so with NANDROID.
2. A minimum of 50% battery life to ensure no disruption when installation is taking place.
3. CM12 ROM ZIP downloaded for the G2.
4. Google Apps Package downloaded.
1. Transfer both the Custom ROM and Google Apps Package to your G2.
2. Boot device into recovery mode and wipe cache, data and system partition.
3. Flash the CM12 ROM.
4. Then, Flash the Google Apps Package.
5. The G2 should reboot and it will run on the Lollipop OS.