Owner of the Samsung Galaxy S3 found out that they were not getting any more updates for their handset and of course they were upset. However the XDA Developers came to their rescue and they offered a custom version of Android 5.0 for the devices.
The ROM comes courtesy of one of the senior members of the XDA and providing your device is unlocked you can go ahead and install the ROM. However you do need to check to make sure that the device is the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 version and before updating you have to bear in mind that there will be some things that don’t work. Such things as GPS, camera, graphics and colour calibration don’t work as they should.
If you choose to install it to test it out you do have to have more than 50% battery life and follow the steps below.
• Download the arter97 kernel file and arter97’s Android 5.0 Lollipop update firmware from the source link below this tutorial.
• Extract the Lollipop ROM ZIP file and put the ROM back-up in the following location – /sdcard/clockwordmod/backup on your Samsung Galaxy S3. Also transfer the kernel zip file to your SD card.
• Enter recovery mode on your device and perform a full wipe of the system, cache, dalvik cache, and data.
• Restore back-up. This will actually install the Android Lollipop ROM to your device, as you have stored the 5.0 firmware in the backup folder on your device.
You will then have to install the arter97 kernel, don’t restart the device as the ROM will not boot without it. Remain in recovery mode to complete the installation.
• Choose the kernel ZIP file that you transferred to the SD card on your device in recovery and flash it.
• Reboot your device. The ROM installation process is now complete.
The update supports the Galaxy S3 variants like the Galaxy S3 SK-3G (SHW-M440S), SK-LTE (SHV-E210S), KT-LTE (SHV-E210K), and the LG-LTE (SHV-E210L). However it doesn’t work with the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE which is the GT-i9305 version. The kernel brings with it speed improvements, battery improvements, CPU overclocking and undervolting, dual boot, new I/O and CPU governors and more.
If you followed the update then you should now have Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Samsung Galaxy S3.